Harry Gordon Garrod

265126, Sergeant, 1st Battalion, Hertfordshire Regiment.

Missing In Action on the 31st July 1917 aged 23.

Sergeant Harry Garrod

Harry was born in Halstead, Suffolk, the son of Jethro & Sarah Garrod. The family later moved to Southsea Road, Stevenage, where both father and his sons worked in the Educational Supplies Association factory.

He initially served in the Hertfordshire Regiment as Private 1773, and arrived in France on the 6th November 1914. He served continuously with his Regiment and was to lose his life on the first day of a major British offensive, The Third Battle of Ypres, more commonly referred to as the Battle of  Passchendaele. The offensive was launched on 31 July 1917 and continued until the fall of Passchendaele village on 6 November.  Although it resulted in gains for the Allies it was by no means the breakthrough General Haig intended, and such gains as were made came at great cost in human terms.

The village of St. Juliaan lies on the Steenbeek, one of the small streams that drains the fields in this area. On the 18th July 1917 a heavy preliminary artillery bombardment began which lasted for the ten days prior to the launch of the attack. The bombardment was made by 3,000 guns which expended four and a quarter million shells into the surrounding ground.  Given such an onslaught the German Fourth Army fully expected the attack and the element of surprise was entirely lost. Added to this was the fact that the area was suffering the heaviest rains it had seen for 30 years and this, combined with the shelling, turned the ground into a hellish morass.

The Battalion were in support of an attack on the Langemarck Line and at 03.45am the planned assault began. It had three objectives to achieve known as Blue, Black & Green and units of the 116th Brigade easily captured the first two objectives, preparing the way for the forward companies of the Hertfordshire battalion, to take the third objective.  At 05.00am they left their assembly positions to attack their first two objectives, which they took successfully.

The men of the Battalion then ate breakfast and at 10.00am were ordered to attack their final objective, which lay over the crest of a ridge. As they made their way forward they came under heavy fire from both German machine guns and snipers but after eliminating a German strongpoint moved up towards St.Julian, which was only lightly held. The battalion was now in some difficulty and two of its supporting Tanks became bogged down in the mud. Things then went from bad to worse. A pre-arranged artillery barrage never materialised due to the guns being unable to move forward over the muddy terrain and the German barbed wire defences, which were fifteen feet deep in some places, were found to still be intact. In addition, 100% of the Officers had become casualties and the Battalion was now being led by NCO's, including Sergeant Harry Garrod.

It was soon realised that ground could only be won by section " rushes" supported by the unit’s own fire. The Cheshire Regiment were on the right of the battalion but the Black Watch, who were due to cover the left flank, had been seriously delayed. This left the Hertfordshire's seriously exposed and the Germans exploited this by bringing a hurricane of fire down upon the stricken troops. This was followed by a German counter-attack and by 10.30 am it was clear that the objective could not be achieved, and the remnants of the Battalion withdrew to their previous positions.. Casualties were very heavy with 459 men being killed, missing or wounded.

Harry as no known grave and his name is recorded on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium.

Medal Entitlement: 1914 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal.

Posted in .